Kamal Nath resigns as CM of Madhya Pradesh, says “Congress will not go to Palace”

Kamal Nath resigned today as Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister without facing a test to prove strength that his Congress government was certain to lose after the ‘jump’ of MLAs loyal to Jyotiraditya Scindia, who crossed over to the BJP last week. “Everyone saw how crores of rupees were spent. How a democratically-elected government was brought down by the BJP who lured a power-hungry, ambitious “Maharaj” rejected by voters and 22 greedy MLAs influenced by him,” said Kamal Nath, hitting out at his former colleague and the BJP.

The Congress, after failing to get back the rebel MLAs, had tried to buy time but the Supreme Court, petitioned by the opposition BJP, ruled that the “state of uncertainty” should be effectively resolved by a floor test to be held by 5 pm today. The BJP’s Shivraj Singh Chouhan, a three-time Chief Minister, is likely to return to power.

Kamal Nath accused the BJP of plotting from Day 1 after he sworn in power in December 2018. “Only time will tell what really happened. It will be investigated. But people responsible for this must remember that tomorrow comes after today and day after comes after tomorrow. Remember, that day after will come for sure,” said the 73-year-old Congress veteran.

Kamal Nath’s short-lived government was hamstrung by his running feud with Jyotiraditya Scindia, who lost the race for chief ministership in 2018. After a year of bickering, the former royal quit saying the Congress was no longer the party it used to be. He also accused Congress leaders of undermining him.

The Congress’s majority in Madhya Pradesh was often shaky and dependent on fractious allies, but its clock started ticking when 22 MLAs flew to Bengaluru by a special flight last week and resigned after Jyotiraditya Scindia’s exit. After the Karnataka assembly crack down by BJP, Madhya Pradesh was in talk that it would be the next in row.

The Congress claimed that the MLAs had been “kidnapped and held captive” by the BJP. Party leaders like Digvijaya Singh also claimed they had sent SOS that their phones had been snatched and they were not allowed to speak to anyone. Singh had tried to visit them in Bengaluru last day.